is a condition in which certain muscles perpetually contract.
This contraction causes stiffness or tightness of the muscles in addition to it can interfere with mundane kineticism, verbalization, and gait.
Muscle contraction: is the activation of tension-engendering sites within muscle fibers.
In physiology, muscle contraction does not indispensably mean muscle truncating because muscle tension can be produced without transmutations in muscle length
spasticity is also a prevalent problem with Injuries of the upper Motor Neuron
i.e. it indicates a lesion at the CNS, not the peripheral nervous system.
The central nervous system includes the brain and spinal cord.
while the peripheral nervous system includes all of the nerves that branch out from the brain and spinal cord and elongate to other components of the body including muscles and organs.
What to do with this spasticity to obviate
it is always a paramount question, And here’s the answer…
1st spasticity can be managed in some and most of the cases avail by some pharmacological treatments as Baclofen and Sirdalud which represent a group of potent muscle relaxants acting mainly centrally
you shouldn’t use any medication afore your personal medico approbation and prescription),
then the non-pharmacological management including:
- the stretching exercise via the physiotherapy
- the serial casting increasing the angle gradually
- the local muscle injection via botulinum toxin or other substances as phenol under medical supervision
- the local trans-magnetic stimulation using the theta-burst at the spastic area itself or paraspinal muscles
- Finally, we consider rhizotomy as a surgical intervention.